- Watch a replay of the April 4th victory over St. Thomas!
Get More Details
St. Pius X Boys Rugby
Home of the Panthers
About Rugby at SPX
The St. Pius X Rugby Football Club is an athletic club that plays in the Texas Rugby Union’s Youth Rugby Association (TYRA), not TAPPS. There are 22 boys teams and four girls teams across the state that are divided into schools (THSRC) and non-school club (U-19) conferences. The THSRC is divided into a Northern and Southern District. St. Pius X plays in the Southern District of the THSRC.
Rugby football started being played at Rugby School in England, hence its name, Rugby football. It is the precursor of American football, which owes many of its characteristics to Rugby’s game, e.g. end zones (called try zones), oval ball, goal posts, tackling and the scrimmage, which developed out of the Rugby football scrummage (scrum).
While the American game has forward passes, stops after tackles and blocking, Rugby football does not have these American innovations in its game. Aside from these separations, the most notable difference is the lack of padding worn by Rugby football players. Minor padding can be used, but it must be of a soft nature.
Another noticeable difference is that players on the field, regardless of position, can run, pass, kick and catch the ball. Likewise, all players must also be able to tackle and defend, making each position both offensive and defensive in nature. Further, there is no blocking or forward passing as in American football. Finally, a match consists of two 40-minute halves, unless otherwise stated for specific reasons.
Panthers at the Next Level
Lowell R. Locke
University of Houston
Year at SPX
2008-2010 Head Coach, Westside High School
- 2010 One week rugby tour to Washington, D.C.
1999-2006 Assistant Coach, St. Thomas High School
- 2003 One week rugby tour to England
1993-2000 Head Coach, St. Ambrose School
- 1999 Two week rugby tour to England
- 1998 Two week rugby tour to New Zealand
- 1997 Silver Medal, AAU Junior Olympics
- 1996 Bronze Medal, AAU Junior Olympics
- 1995 Silver Medal, AAU Junior Olympics
1974-1988 Playing member, Houston Old Boys RFC
- 1987 Two week rugby tour to England, Wales, Scotland
- 1993 Original Founding Member of Youth Rugby in Texas
- 1990-1995 President, Texas Rugby Union
- 1988-1990 President, Houston Old Boys RFC